Like I mentioned in my post earlier, I love food. I live on the Food Network station, and I fear that I am the type of chef who needs a recipe to boil water. So this is the latest project. This recipe can be found at Food Network and comes from my latest obsession Aarti Party.
I will be doing this next week!!! For now the house is overflowing with holiday leftovers.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, picked and rinsed well (the red kind is prettier, but either the red or the white is fine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cherries
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 grapefruit, zested, plus 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and spices, and saute until the onion has softened and the spices are very fragrant.
Stir in the pine nuts and fruit and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the cooked quinoa (all the water should have been absorbed) to the skillet. Stir in the grapefruit zest and grapefruit juice. Taste, and season with salt, pepper, to taste. Allow to sit off the heat for 10 minutes so the flavors seep into the quinoa.
Serve in lettuce cups.